Monday 16 May 2011

A Birthday celebration in Japan !

I traveled to Japan from 11 to 22nd April 2011: Tokyo, Nagoya, Takayama, Kyoto, Nara, Himeji, Koyasan and return to Tokyo. The voyage has been organized by me, without travel agencies. I was traveling accompanied by my adolescent son. He completed 17 years old at 14th April, when we were at Takayama. We had the opportunity to see Takayama Spring Festival. That`s wonderful. About  your question: what is happening after the quake in these cities, I answer that we felt always secure,  even at Tokyo, were we felt others quakes. We saw the Japanese people living normally, calm. When I told to my family and friends in Portugal that I would maintain my voyage to Japan as planned, some tried to discourage me because they were afraid that something could happen to us. But I answered that I was reading news from several countries and the WHO did not put any restrictions to  voyages to Japan. I´m a doctor, I had to believe it. It was also my way to help Japan in such difficult moment.
Mount Koya

And I am happy because I decided this way. I had the gift  to see hundreds of Sakura plenty of flowers and so many others beautiful things and to know a little of Japanese culture. All were so nice, helping when we were confuse, looking at the map. Japanese approached us, asking if we needed help and, if they didn´t know, they asked to others. And so We did our voyage. At the end my son said " Everything has been better than I had imagined". My son will never forget this anniversary.

By Georgina Maia

2 comments:

  1. In japan some body say as guest houses are sometimes called gaijin house" in Japan, mostly foreigners stays at guest houses. Meet great people and have a good time in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gaijin Houses are a great and cheap way to travel and live in Japan for backpackers. Ryokans and Minshukus are very different and offer a completely unique experience for travelers. I hope you can visit a ryokan at least one during your time in Japan.

    ReplyDelete